Give Your Paycheck a Glow Up

14

Are you underpaid? Talking about paychecks and salaries is often a workplace taboo. Is your co-worker making more than you are for doing the same job? It’s possible. Or perhaps you’re being paid the same as everyone else at your job, you just feel that your 40 hours of work is worth more than you’re currently making. If so, you’re not alone.

According to a study by Indeed, only 19% of U.S. workers are comfortable with their present salary. That leaves the other 81% of us wondering when someone is going to “show me the money!” In the same study, over half the workers who responded said they would switch jobs for a higher paycheck.

This dissatisfaction is not missed by employers. Most are aware that lower wages can lead to more employee turnover. That can give you a powerful bargaining chip if you’re ready to ask your boss for a raise.

Always be ready to show your boss hard facts about why your performance merits an increase in salary, have numbers in hand to show the positive results you’ve achieved for the company. Be open to hearing what expectations your company may have for continued education or certifications to justify a salary bump.

If a raise at your current job seems unlikely, but a larger paycheck is still your goal, switching to a new career path should may be your most strategic move.

Growth industries like tech and healthcare can be an excellent choice for a career change. One of the main reasons is that training for specialized career paths in those industries can often be done online or at night, either part-time or full-time, allowing you to continue working until you’re ready for your career move.

It’s important to weigh your options carefully before making any career move, but it’s also important to make sure you’re being paid your full salary potential.